Founded in 1917, Ernest W. Smith built a small family business that focused on servicing the community and putting the customer first. In 1930, his son Edgar Smith purchased
the agency on 336 Poplar St. in Wyandotte. Edgar remained president until 1967, and the agency expanded to Biddle Ave. before building its current headquarters at 1717 Fort Street in Wyandotte. Over the next several decades, E.W. Smith expanded to Flat Rock in 1976, and added another location in Shelby Township in 1989.
Specializing in auto, home, business and life insurance, we help each customer find the best coverage while reducing costs. We’ve partnered with our neighbors and local business owners to protect their families and our community.
Over the last 100 years, E.W. Smith has grown into one of the largest independent agencies in Southeast Michigan with more than 65 agents and employees. After a century in business, our mission remains to offer a personal approach to insurance where every customer has a dedicated agent.
We’re proud to represent some of the largest and most trusted insurance companies including: Auto-Owners, Citizens, Frankenmuth, AAA, Progressive, The Hartford, and many others. We compare these highly-rated companies in order to present our customers with a comprehensive insurance plan at the most competitive price.